Friday, May 16, 2008

Monkey in my Kitchen

I was enjoying the 6.00 A.M stillness in the air, sipping my tea and getting ready to write my first blog, when I heard some movement behind me, in the kitchen. Pleasantly surprised at the thought that my wife had got up earlier than her usual time, I wheeled around towards the kitchen to greet her, but the sight that greeted me left me open mouthed and stuck for a moment- Two full grown monkeys were casually climbing down the kitchen slab on their way out, with a bunch of banana held safely in one coiled, protective arm.

I recovered from the initial shock by the time they reached the work area through the kitchen door. The next emotion I felt was rage- my house was under attack, and I had to fight back. Almost involuntarily I ran towards the assailants making appropriate noises. I reached the work area and saw one of them still sitting inside the grill and lovingly munching into a banana. Four feet separated us, a raging human and a calm monkey. He looked at me casually and went back to his breakfast. I felt almost insulted, how dare he, an inferior species, come into my house, rob me in broad daylight (well, almost) and have the guts to eat it right in front of my eyes! I let out a loud roar, which if translated into monkey language should mean something like ‘get out of my house, you monkey!’ He stopped eating, looked me in the eye and jerked his upper body in my direction and said, ‘hmmrrrrrrbbbbb’, which if translated into human language should mean something like, ‘Buzz off, you human!’ I immediately retaliated just like any superior being would in such situations- withdraw!

I watched him from behind the kitchen window. He caught his reflection on the mirror in the cupboard and made another jerking motion and said ‘ Urrrrrpp’ He then made faces at himself, obviously admiring his handsome personality. The slim black fingers went around the knob of the cupboard and pulled it open! That one action send a chill in me- I am not dealing with just another animal here- this is an intelligent and capable being, and that was intimidating.

I summoned the security guard of our apartment who eagerly swung into action, swinging his baton and mouthing the same unintelligible words I said to the monkeys earlier. This time they fled. Not because he screamed any louder than I did, but because the monkeys easily recognized the danger when a human being was roaring at them with a weapon in hand, as opposed to a human being just roaring. Common sense!

But everything is safe now, I secured their entry point by closing out the grilled area. I can once again breathe easy in my beautiful world.

No comments: